A table saw is a circular saw that is attached at the bottom of a table with a protruding blade through a slot.It is usually electric/ motor run and thus consumes less human energy. Table saws are mainly used to cut wood, plastic, and aluminum.
The earliest inventions of the table saw are believed to have been as early as the 17th century, then referred to as a circular saw and since then, technology for table saws has evolved immensely.
Types of Table Saws:
- Portable Table Saw; This type of saw can be moved from one place to another making it ideal for projects done at clients’ premises. The motor is usually smaller and noisier and is mostly used for outdoors.
- Cabinet Table Saw; Made of cast steel and iron, it is an industrial saw. It can cut through hardwood with ease. It is less noisy that the portable and contractor saw as it has a bigger motor.
- Contractor Table Saw; It is also a portable saw which is recommended for hobby woodworking with the help of wood lathe. It also has a noisy motor as the motor is not enclosed.
- Hybrid Table Saw; This is in-between of the portable saw and the cabinet saw. It is more affordable, has an enclosed motor making it quieter. It is recommended for beginners who have eyes ongoing professional without making further investments.
- Check this site: www.bestcabinettablesaw.com/benchtop-floor-drill-press-reviews for more types of Table saws
The most remarkable advancements in table saw technology include;
- The L-Fence: This is basically two boards fixed at a 90-degree angle. It is a table saw add-on that helps in the making of easier tenons and rabbets. It is used together with a dado head
- The Dado Head; This is a type of blade that is used to make grooves/dados in the material being cut.
- The Push Stick: This is a narrow wooden strip used to push material for cutting through the table saw. By the nature of its work, the push stick has been upgraded over time to suit different users.
- Jigs; Jigs come in different types to solve differently and are every woodworker’s special ingredient. They provide a good finish to the different cuts on the work -piece.
- Featherboards: This is a safety tool for keeping a work -piece flat and stationary by applying pressure against it.
- The Motor; While the original table saw was manually operated, over time, motor-run table saws have replaced manually controlled ones.
Some of the areas that technological advancement is sought in table saws include;
- Speed; Every machine operator hopes to increase the speed of the machine they use and this applies to the table saw users.
- Utility; It is hoped that the table saw will be able to increase its utility from just the wood, plastic and aluminum cutting to other hard material like hard metal and stone. This would come in handy for workers who work with different materials to have the same machine for different cuts.
- Computerization; The epitome of any mechanical equipment is the digitization of its functions which would mean less manual labor. Computerization of the table saw would be the greatest of the improvements for the current table saw.
While the technology for table saws has only just begun, the technological inventions so far have given it immeasurable advancement to other types of saws and more is expected from this lucrative industry.